Thursday, 11 December 2014

A traffic fine.



I used to wonder why dad has to exercise such discipline when it comes to eating and exercising. 

I don't understand the need to control the amount of food he puts in his mouth, when clearly he was losing weight. I couldn't fathom why the need to be active everyday, be it a short 15-20 minutes walk, he'd take it. 

I mean, I was glad he cares for his body, but really? Isn't life supposed to (sometimes) be spontaneous and fun and that means letting loose every once in a while?




For instance, if this were to be served to him in a restaurant, I can be certain he would consume no more than 40% of the food there, and all the deep fried, artery-clogging, phlegm-induced food would be found untouched. 

To start off with, he wouldn't even order such food in the first place. But he works in a very Malay dominant company, so it is expected that such food will be served all the time, with a side of an endless supply of syrup, I'm afraid.




Looks SO good even as I'm posting this. And it's in my camera roll because a friend posted it in WhatsApp. Heavens forbid I have access to such food in the UK right now. I will have Malaysian people in particular coming to me ALL the time asking me where I discovered this hidden gem (restaurant). 

This plate of goodness would tempt many people, but not my dad, and it's hardly about gaining weight because... He eats just enough or under to supply his body with energy and nutrients to function.




This bowl of ice kacang...  

I wouldn't quite know how to resist this in Malaysia but in this weather currently in the UK... I'd say it's not too tough of a challenge. 

Anyway, point here is... After many years, as I grow up and learn what illnesses, diseases, deaths are... I have a much better understanding of why dad lives his life the way he does now. And I truly respect him for that.


Not just for his well being, not just so he could live a long, healthy life, but also so that he has many more years to execute his role and duty as a father to my siblings and I, a husband to my mother. 


The WhatsApp message on the top of the pic is from my mum... It's regarding a fine. I received a letter this morning from the university security team imposing a £15 fine because I didn't have lights when cycling in the dark. In my defense, it completely slipped my mind to buy them (I am usually organised but there are simply so many things consuming my thoughts lately) and subsequently putting them on. I now have lights on my bike, okay?



I paid the day itself (2 hours upon receiving the letter) to prevent myself forgetting about it. 

Angry and frustrated at myself but there is no one to blame. Very thankful my mum is understanding and didn't chastise me for it- probably because she knows it's not going to help matters however she don't just let it slip... she always provides me with sound advice to make sure I learn from my lesson.


My mum is kind, wise and amazing. I turn to her whenever I seek comfort and advice. Mums truly are a girl's best friend. To me, at least.



Anyway... How did we drift so far.


This Facebook post. My sincere condolences to his family members and loved ones. But looking at these posts reminds me strongly why exactly my dad chooses to eat a balanced, healthy diet, and exercise regularly. He insists on eating whole foods instead of heavily processed, oily, unhealthy junk. Supper is never in his dictionary. He encourages small yet frequent meals. (Although he eats very little and not very frequently, I don't know how he does it).


I must take care of my body. Only then I can take care of this family for a long time. Even if I'm physically unable to work very hard when I'm old, at least I will not be a burden to you or your brothers or your mother.



This is not to say he doesn't enjoy treats in moderation. Although in this picture, it's only because one of his best friends in university (Uncle Ow Yong- the man on the far right) insisted to go for ice-cream. 

I don't even know what he craves. My Mum's cooking, I suppose. Seriously! He loves my Mum's cooking. We all do. 




I love that he has such strong sense of responsibility. The responsibility to be healthy in order to provide a stable, happy life for his family. 

My mother often points out how disciplined my dad is- and I am secretly wondering where all that good genes (high cheekbones, big eyes, powerful memory, good in maths and physics, super diligent, organised and neat, impressively disciplined...) were passed down to. 



I was kidding. Not about how he has delightfully admirable traits and habits and characteristics, but kidding about how I didn't inherit any of that. My parents have been great enough role models and if I am not half as decent as they are, the problem lies in me, not in them ever.

The family pictures posted excluded Ken my big bro and I feel bad but I have transferred all the pictures in my phone to the laptop and in my camera roll I could only find pictures from our Melbourne trip which happened to exclude him because he was on a ski trip in the UK. 

No comments:

Post a Comment