Saturday, 15 February 2014

This year's Chinese New Year.

Lil' bro is returning to Singapore tomorrow. Chinese New Year holiday is coming to an end as well. 

Albeit missing Ken who is trying not to feel homesick in the UK,  this year's Chinese New Year has been by far the most fruitful and memorable one to me. Open-mouthed smile


I think most of it is because in a few months time, I will be spreading my wings, flying across oceans, and soaring high in the sky of another country. It's terrifying and exciting all together. But I am looking forward, and constantly reminding myself to do the best I can in order to turn my dreams into reality. 

I know I will miss home- without a doubt, absolutely, certainly, indubitably, firmly, unquestionably, completely, definitely. 

Regardless of how appealing and captivating the life of studying abroad is portrayed by the social media, I still think home is home, after all. 

I may gather otherwise in a few years time, but right now, I know I especially cherish this year's CNY celebration- because I realise as I open my heart and see things differently- from a more positive and uplifting perspective, at least- life is good. It's short, and bitter sometimes, but there will always be those precious days, moments and people in life that make life worth living. 

 
On Chinese New Year eve, our family spent the night having reunion dinner at my aunt's house. I am grateful for the spread of delicious and mouth-watering dishes she prepared for us. 



Visit from my boyfriend and his family was easily my favourite day of this CNY celebration. They came on the first day of CNY. I was incredibly joyful to get to see boyfriend again, and although I was nervous in the beginning because it was my first time meeting his family, his family members were amiable, warm and funny, which made me feel at ease. I don't remember laughing so fullheartedly in a while, and his siblings drove me into giggling mode effortlessly. 

As a matter of fact, I was having such a splendid time that I forgot to take a picture with them. Aiyoh 大头虾。

After we have bid my boyfriend and his family goodbye, I even played frisbee with Sean despite the sun showing us who's boss (haha by that I mean shining down without  mercy). My throws improved (self proclaimed haha). Sean is still as brilliant as always, with his skillfull ways of throwing and amazingly flexible ways of jumping and catching the frisbee. So much potential and talent shining within him. 


(Photo taken in Melbourne)

Second day of Chinese New Year, we went swimming in the morning! 

It's always extra fun and delightful when Sean joins us for swimming. Reason being, he is competitive and does not leave the pool without a competition with us.

We swam four laps (each lap is 50m)- Sean reached first, following by his beloved sister (ahaha narcissism alert), and then dad, lastly mum.

I was out of breath but daddy suggested another race. This time we had to walk in the pool for two laps. Don't be fooled by how simple the image of walking in the pool pops up in your mind, it is actually tougher than you can imagine. 

We tiptoed and rose our arms above the water to minimise friction. My calves muscles felt tightened by every step forward (yay), but my arms quickly got tired. So did Sean's and dad's, but we continued. Sean came in first (no surprise! He really is good), followed by dad and then his dearest daughter (hahaha I have to stop doing this I know), and lastly mum. 

Late afternoon, my mum invited her friend, Aunt Jaslyn and her son, Joel to our house. He is a charming lad, considered a senior of mine, who generously shared with me his experiences when studying in the UK and offered me advices on making the best out of the university he entered. I appreciate his time coming over. 



Later that night, our relatives arrived around 7.30 and they devoured the food to their hearts' delight (at least from the empty and cleared dishes I suppose it's what indicated). 


Not sure if the piano is used for playing, or for taking pictures with. Hahaha. 

The third day of Chinese New Year, which falls on a Sunday, we kicked start the day with our morning jog and walk in the park! Just the parents and me though. We decided Sean would prefer sleeping in that morning. 

My lungs felt good and my heart was pumping well. The only thing that couldn't keep up with my organs were my legs. I was still a few steps faster than daddy, and whenever he's a little far behind me I would turn back and follow his pace. It makes me happy to jog by daddy's side. 


(Recycled photo) 

Then we paid a visit to our tenant's house, Mr and Mrs Kee along with their children, Han and Min. 

Our initial plan was to visit the old folk's home but mum decided to postpone it because Dad had a last minute function to attend. 

After we had lunch, we went to Ikea to buy table lamps for Sean. He needed brighter lighting for studying and mum and dad were 100% on it. So was I. 

I proceeded to spend the entire evening making phone calls to settle my readers club matters, which was extremely time consuming but I enjoyed the process. 

Dad was hanging onto a movie he has wanted to watch days before it was launched, it's a locally produced movie entitled The journey 一路有你. 



We were entertained throughout the movie.


I totally revelled in the Australian accent the male lead spoke throughout the movie. Fluent English is simply lovely to the ears. I made a mental note to converse more frequently in English in my daily life.  


This was my favourite scene in the movie. 

Overall, it was a great movie and we left the cinema feeling satisfied.

Finally (if you're still here with me major congrats 'cos this post is getting SO long) this morning, the fourth day of Chinese New Year, and also the day that Sean will part with us to head back to Singapore.

We went to the park for our morning walk and jog, and I won't lie, I was reluctant to jog but I did because I strongly believe in the motto "the only workout you'll regret is the workout you didn't do".

Dad was at a better form than I was today, but he kept encouraging me to keep going, and I was certain that if he didn't quit, I wouldn't. So together we completed 5 rounds. Dad is my best jogging partner. I love my dad. Winking smile


When I came home, Sean wanted me to draw the back of the frisbee for him. He wanted it to be creative, unique and not like the rest. His friends all had their initials on it, and he wanted his to stand out among the others. 

A small part inside of me may adore art and craft but I haven't been drawing for a long time so I was doubtful at first. However I didn't want to let him down so I turned to my best friend (google) and found myself  practising a few times on blank papers before drawing a picture of a boy gazing upon the stars. 


What do you think of it? 

I hope he thinks of me every time he sees it. Smile

Lastly, better late than never: Happy Chinese New Year! 

No comments:

Post a Comment