Thursday, 17 January 2013

Dealing with stress.


I'm not about to paint a picture of rainbows and butterflies in your heads, because looking back at how I've barely survived my first week in Taylor's is sadly but unsurprisingly the exact opposite of spectacular. That's  also when a list of 'things to do to tame stress' instantly sprung up in my head.
Here it goes (what I find works for me):

1) Sweat



By sweating I mean exercising and working out! 

Seriously, nothing makes me happier than being active and moving my feet because the world has too much to show me. 

Sweating melts stress, helps ease my tension and keeps my body energized and healthy. I genuinely like to exercise, so fitting it in as part of my every day routine is not a chore, or a punishment, instead, something that I look forward to every day.

2) Eat healthy, feel healthy

I strive to eat a rainbow of fresh produce and real food;


but as a bread-lover, I would never deprive myself of the wholesome baked goods,

The indulge of deep fried food is normal and perfectly human as long as you don't make it a daily basis, which in my dictionary, the word occasional indicates once in three days not once in a few months. Lame. 





























Though, to be safe, shoot to skip the unnecessary, detrimental, artery-clogging fats and oils.


























But let's get real. A perfect diet is impossible and the term 'perfect diet' obviously differs for every individual so what I'm trying to say is, food affects mood so choose the food you eat wisely.


Also, just so you know, I eat my weight in chocolates and cinnamon rolls too often and sometimes I'm so stuffed and uncomfortable but I still repeatedly do it so you might as well not follow what I say or do. 

Or you could. But don't say I didn't warn you if you can't button up your pair of favourite jeans after that.

3) Let it out

The idealist part of me explains why I've the tendency to conceal my emotions and feelings, thinking that if I forcefully squeeze a smile on my face it will provide shielding and masking to my imperfections. I naively suspected that by burying my worries and tribulation I would be displaying an image of a perfect person to my friends. 

But that's wrong. Very, very wrong. Who would want to be friends with someone who's perfect?

I mean, wouldn't it creep the hell out of you if the friend you mingle with so happen to doesn't deal with any problems or issues or have any defects or weaknesses? Being jealous of him/her is another story, but I'm convinced that exasperation and irritation would be taking place, followed by discrimination.

It's absurdly fallacious to deduce that crying equals vulnerability. And even if that's a fitting concept in some people's eyes, I've came to understand that it's okay to be vulnerable, it's okay to be weak, it's okay to have flaws, most importantly - it's okay to be me.




4) Breathe

I know it's a little short in details but seriously, breathe. Deeply. 

Whenever you find yourself feeling mad, sad, or any negative sort of emotions, focus on your breathing. Deep breathing stills the turning thoughts and calms your mind.

Have you seen how babies breathe? Their stomachs, together with their shoulders and chests expand upwards, where else if you pay attention to the way most of the adults breathe, our breathing is dismally shallow!

So next time you catch yourself feeling agitated or upset or perturbed, remember to pause and breathe profoundly. It works wonder!

2 comments:

  1. oohhh..the vege sushi looks so yummy !! >.< and the mushrooms !! XP did i mention how beautiful u r too ??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prove that there ARE food which are healthy while not forgoing the taste :)

      Thank you Mei Qun! You're such a sweetie, too, so don't ever think lesser of yourself :)

      Delete